Monday, September 17, 2007

Camping and a story





On June 29th mom and I decided to go camping with Kenzie and Benjamin. This is one of the pictures when he was running up on the hill we were camping on. He had a blast running around with Kenzie. Mom pointed out that this was the farthest he had ever been away from his Mommy. He had a good time, until granny fell and then he spent the night getting work up every hour or so by mommy. We are so lucky it happened. It could have been much later that mom's cancer was discovered.
Well, I'll tell you all about proper horn usage now. I have always thought that people driving that are doing something stupid and/or unsafe should be informed of it. However, while driving there is very little you can do to communicate with other drivers...except honk your horn. So, I have done my duty and I honk to let others know that they are doing something wrong. I have always done this. Often to do this you must slam on the breaks and hit the horn at the same time. This is not a difficult thing to do.
About 10 years ago, me and mom were driving in my truck. I had this truck for 9 1/2 years. 4 or 5 of which the transmission had issues when others drove it, but I knew how to compensate for it and didn't really have a problem. Definitely not enough problems to pay for a new transmission. The gas peddle was very heavy, you had to push really hard on it to get it to move. The breaks were really light. A touch and you slowed down. When you hit them you stopped. Right then!
I was driving and mom was in the passenger seat. We were going about 45mph and coming up on a red light. The light turned green before I even needed to slow down. Then someone driving a little white car made a left hand turn right in front of me. Mom braced herself for impact and I slammed on the breaks. Have I mentioned that I loved that truck. We didn't hit the white car. I know that a guardian angel came down and moved the rear end of that car out of the way because there is now way we should have missed it. We were both rather shook up so I pulled over as soon as we got to the other side of the intersection. Mom looked over at me and said "Melissa you didn't hit your horn." I told her "the horn is used to let someone know that they are doing something stupid, when I hit them I don't need to use my horn to let them know they did something stupid. The impact should be enough to notify them." She started laughing and after a few minutes we pulled back on the road and headed home.

5 comments:

Favorite Daughter said...

Oh lands I remember that one....

patsy said...

IF I REMEMBER RIGHT YOU HAVE HAD AT LEST ONE WRECK AND SEVERAL NEAR MISSES. I DON RECALL KRIS HAVING ANY AND ALSO I CAN BELIEVE IT BUT I CAN'T REMEMBER BILLY HAVING A WRECK EITHER. I MUST HAVE FORGOT ABOUT BILLY, I AM SURE HE MUST HAVE HAD SEVERAL.

Galla Creek said...

I am glad you were all ok. Take care of that new pretty car of yours. No dings on it.

Favorite Daughter said...

Patsy, Kris has had several accidents also. However, god looks out for those who can't look after themself.

Kristina said...

I must admit, I have had a bad accident. I believe each of us kids has had one bad one. I don't recall any of the three being our faults completely but they were all bad. Mine was probably the most my fault because I did have the stop sign and did not see the oncoming traffic but when he was going between 65 and 80 they tend to look like a blur in the sticks.